To be totally honest, I don't have a single occasion to dress up on my calendar between now and New Year's Eve. Or as far as I can see into 2020. Not one. But if you do - I've got a Very Important Piece that will serve you well all the way through the holiday party season and beyond.
A black jersey jumpsuit is my VIP. Bonus points for a crossover front, an elastic waist, and pockets!
Jersey is easy to pack, easy to wear, and easy to wash. It offers great drape without being too clingy and its subtle sheen is easy to elevate for any event. A crossover style top is a great option for nursing moms and the elastic waist needs no explanation.
A girlfriend found this one for me [brand is NY Collection] at one of our local Goodwill stores (thanks Alexis!), but whether you find one while combing the racks or search "black jersey jumpsuit" on a site like Poshmark, there are plenty of awesome pre-loved options. A black jumpsuit is a great example of an item you can buy secondhand for the same price and convenience as one you would order from Amazon. However, selecting a pre-owned option increases the individuality of your wardrobe and the sustainability of that item.
Six Ways to Style a Black Jumpsuit
1. Layered over a gray turtleneck, the jumpsuit becomes just a touch more casual without compromising its sleekness. Add fun statement earrings and a pointy toe flat in a coordinating pattern or (animal) print.
2. Highlight a narrow waist with a bold belt - a great plaid is always on trend for the holidays! Black pointy toe flats keep the leg line long while you can stand standing all night. Add a pop of color with a wrap until it's warm enough to bare your arms.
3. Go bright with a color other than red or green - blue, pink, and purple are all merry options. Silver hardware and studs adds a bit of edge and contrast with pretty jeweled earrings. The cardigan can be worn open or button it at the smallest part of the waist and the belt on top.
4. A cozy cardigan goes glam with metallic shimmer. Coordinate or mix metals with your belt, shoes, and bag. Look for options like copper, pewter and gunmetal to mix with your standard silver and gold.
5. Leopard loafers add plenty of interest to a look that's as easy as pajamas. Top the jumpsuit with a solid cardigan in a rich jewel tone that's sure to earn you compliments. A pretty necklace keeps things party perfect.
6. Go for a simple, chic combination of black and white. Black heels add a little extra leg length and compliment the long body line created by the contrasting blazer. Jewels can go as flashy as you want or create impact by layering several modest pieces.
There are MANY more ways to style this VIP for the holidays and beyond. Its versatility and wearability make it a great addition to your wardrobe. If you're wondering, "Why not just stick with a little black dress?" Easy - a jumpsuit means not having to shave your legs!